How much salary a pilot for Malaysia Airlines (MAS) can earn?
Below are some of the salary figures for a Pilot working with the Malaysia Airlines. Credit to AskCaptainLim.com for the figures, which were based on the 2006 scheme, hence there might have been changes in the salary figures as of today.
Captain Lim has been a pilot for MAS for more than 10 years, flying Boeing 777 internationally and Airbus A320 domestically. He has clocked over 23,000 flying hours and have covered various routes such as Auckland, New York and Middle East. His website provides useful information for aspiring and existing pilots, banking on his wealth experience in the airline industry.
Basic salary for Second Officers (SO):
- Upon endorsement, a Cadet Pilot will be paid a basic monthly salary of RM4,229
- On posting to the fleet, without supervision of co-pilot – RM5,069
- Second year on fleet – RM5,360
- Third year and onwards – RM5,668
Basic salary for First Officers (FO):
- Narrow body aircraft – RM5,984 – RM9,501
- Wide body aircraft – RM9,146 – RM17,009
Narrow body and wide body aircrafts are differentiated by a number of factors including the plane size and width, seating and so on. Typically, a narrow body aircraft has less than 200 seating, while a wide body can accommodate between 200 to 600 (Note: This is just a general definition).
Meals and Night Stop Allowances:
- Allowances range between RM150 to RM160 per night, depending on city of stop over.
Flying/Pilot Productivity Allowances (PPA):
- Narrow body aircraft – RM48 for Captain, RM29 for co-pilot
- Wide body aircraft – RM72 for Captain, RM43 for co-pilot
Average Gross Salary (inclusive of basic salary & allowances):
- Second Officer, SO – RM6,000 – RM8,000
- First Officer, FO – RM10,000 – RM16,000 (also depends on craft size)
- Captain – RM15,000 – RM35,000 (also depends on craft size)
So, after looking at the salary, are you thinking of becoming a commercial airline pilot too?